(Pause for a moment of silence).
Yes, I know – I too am (naturally) disappointed…but more than that, I’m grateful to have been chosen to participate in the Disney extravaganza in 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015.
That’s right, chosen. I think there are a lot of misnomers out there about what exactly the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration is, so as a token of gratitude and in a spirit of education, I thought I’d both clarify what DSSM is…and what it isn’t:
(I think this is also a good time to mention that I am not a Disney spokesperson, am not and never have been employed by Disney, nor was I asked to write this post. This is purely my opinion and insight for the help of clarifying based on my personal experiences for all who ever have been or hope to be a part of this spectacular event).
Disney Social Media Moms Celebration: What it isn’t
1. Disney Social Media Moms is not a conference
Just look at the name: “Disney Social Media Moms Celebration”. Started under the radar in 2010, the Disney Social Media team invited a selected group of bloggers to experience Walt Disney World in a unique way for a 4 day event. The 2011 DSSM Celebration accepted applications, but fell under a huge backlash after applicants didn’t understand that ‘application acceptance’ didn’t equate with ‘conference attendance’. 2012 went back to a pure invitation format. As mentioned above, I was fortunate to have been invited to both the 2011 and 2012 events, both of which were a brilliant combination of speakers and events to not only take my blogging and social media to the next level, but to share what’s up and coming with the Disney Organization, which leads me to my next point…
2. Disney Social Media Moms is not a giant Disney commercial
Not to give too much credit to the nay-sayers, but criticism has come up that the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration is nothing more that a giant, glorified Walt Disney World commercial. It isn’t…and I have one simple way to explain it. I think it’s safe to say that anyone attending is a HUGE Disney fan (I know I am!). So what Disney fan wouldn’t want a sneak peak at what’s up and coming in the land of the mouse? Not only do celebration attendants get to experience the parks and hotels in some pretty unique ways, but we are privy to finding out about what’s up and coming in their future plans (for instance, in 2012 we got a preview of the New Fantasyland, as well of the Art of Animation Resort – both of which opened after the event).
3. Disney Social Media Moms is not free
While the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration is presented to its participants at a GREATLY reduced cost over regular Disney Parks & Resorts standard pricing, there is still a fee to participate and participants must pay their own travel to and from the event. However, I think anyone who has attended the event would unanimously agree with me in saying that the experience FAR outweighs any cost associated with getting there 🙂
So in case you couldn’t glean from my points above what exactly the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration IS, let me help you out
The Disney Social Media Moms Celebration is…
- an event bringing bloggers and their families together to experience Walt Disney World and the Disney family of brands in a truly unique ( & magical) way!
- an invitation only, four day event comprised of both well-known and new bloggers, all for the purpose of helping them expand their blogging know-how & social media reach while fueling their passion for Disney with sneak peaks into what’s ahead for the company
- a chance to hear amazing, intelligent and encouraging speakers from the media, business, PR, travel & blogging worlds
- a way to meet some incredible bloggers in real life
- an opportunity to interview some of the brains behind the Disney shows we love
- and of course, an opportunity to create memories that will last a lifetime at one of our family’s favorite places on earth: Walt Disney World.
I wanted to send a sparkle of Pixie Dust to ALL the celebrants attending this year’s Social Media Moms event. I would be lying if I didn’t admit I wanted to be there with you all, but of course am proud of the organizers for wanting to introduce a new crop of Social Media Moms (& dads!) into the mix.
Here’s hoping I get to “See You Real Soon” again in 2017!
For more Disney Social Media Moms goodness, check out:
- On the road to Disney Social Media Moms 2012
- Art of Animation Resort Sneak Peak
- LIVE Shaky & Bones Video footage from the Disney Social Media Moms 2011 event
- Disney Character Meeting Video Tips
- Inside Disney Social Media Moms 2011
- A grateful review of our Disney Social Media Moms 2014 experience at Disneyland
- My favorite Disney Social Media Moms 2014 Sponsors
or feel free to check out all my Disney Deals, Discounts & Insights before your next trip to Walt Disney World!
Save BIG on Walt Disney World tickets!
I’m sad because Apple accidentally erased my phone shortly after the 2015 event, so I don’t have my pictures and videos, but the memories will always live in our heart. Of course, you can still catch up on my Daily Dash from those days at Disney for a peek into the fun.
What is your take on the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration?