This past weekend I was privileged to attend SaveUp14 put on by Savings.com. As one of their DealPros, one of the highlights for me (other than line-dancing and rooming with Amy) was the round-table with other attendees.
It’s rare to get that many bloggers in one room with that amount of collective experience, so you can only imagine the breadth and depth of knowledge that was shared!
The attitude I love is that everyone subscribes to the “If one wins, we all win” philosophy; so I thought, “Why keep all these blogging tips to myself?”.
Hence, my notes from our SaveUp14 Blogger Round-Table. (I apologize that I don’t remember who said what, but if you leave a comment below, I’d be happy to link and credit you here as well!)
Best Blogging Tips from #SaveUp14
Best Blogging Tip #1: Instagram Tips
* Ask what readers want to see from you on Instagram
– Take active pictures of you doing what you’re advising readers to do (like a picture of you sorting coupons), rather than just a picture of the coupons
* Great Photo Apps: After Light, Snapseed, Pic Effects, Rhonna Designs, Fuzel, Pic Lab
– General tips for better photo editing: bump up exposure, bump up temps, add a little contrast (Amy from MomAdvice)
* Latergram App – reminds you to post your Instagrams at a later date/time
* Use hashtags in a 2nd comment so not to seem ‘spammy’ in first comment but still attract new followers
* TagsForLikes: App to autofill most used hashtags
* Consider creating an “Insta-series” (like “Never Have I Ever”) and encourage readers to participate
Best Blogging Tip #2: Virtual Assistant Tips
* Great advice in book “Virtual Freedom” by Chris Drucker
– “Stop being in your business so you can work on your business”
* Consider hiring a social media manager
* Have VA’s sign a non-compete clause (but beware of tax/payroll implications because then VA is viewed as an employee and not a contractor)
* Hire former teachers for your Site Manager
* Hire people to do things they can do so it frees you up to do the things only you can do
Best Blogging Tips #3: Tips & Apps for Managing Time Better/Making your Blogging Life Easier
* Viral Tag
* O-Desk (Virtual & Online help)
* Nutshell Mail (from constant contact)
-Update from Lori Felix: “I mentioned using Nutshell from Constant Contact to organize a daily feed of social media into an email. Today, I found out that my free 1 month trial is almost up. I did not put in a credit card and obviously missed the fact that it is a paid subscription after 1 month.”
*Pop-Up Plugins: Pop-Up Domination, Pippity
* MaxBlogPress – your readers get an e-mail when someone responds to a comment on your blog
*Manage WP – manage multiple sites from one dashboard
* Signals – Chrome extension (from Kelly at RedefinedMom)
* Asana & Trello– project managing
* Co-Schedule – let’s your team share editorial calendar and manage social media updates
Best Blogging Tip #4: Blogging Trends/New Discoveries
* Commission Junction has a widget like Polyvore that lets us create collages where your affiliates automatically link
* Look for specific product deals on Savings.com
* Use Fiverr.com to create a YouTube Intro Video
* List of Ideal Image Sizes for the different Social Media Channels: 2014 Social Media Image Size Cheat Sheet from Constant Contact
* Use Archive.org to find your old media appearances (Laura from BeltwayBargainMom)
Again, if you have anything to add or see your tip mentioned but not linked, please leave a comment below. FYI, I’ve added links where applicable (some affiliate). Hope these help you in your blog life!
What are some of your best blogging tips that you’ve discovered this year?