This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission when you make a purchase at NO additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting our site in this way!
IN THE NEWS:
* Kate Spade’s suicide brings new light to mental health
* Bill Clinton in the hot seat after joint interviews with James Patterson
* 74th anniversary of DDay
* IHOP to become IHOB on June 11?
IN THE WORD:
I have to make an effort to keep my conscience so sensitive that I can live without any offense toward anyone ~ Oswald Chambers
IN MY LIFE:
I’ve waited so long to come to you today because honestly, I’ve had trouble finding the right words to say.
First of all, I’m outraged over the Bill Clinton/James Patterson Today Show interview (www.today.com/video/watch-full-interview-with-bill-clinton-and-james-patterson-1249289795644). There are three things that have me fired up (fast forward to minute 19 to watch for yourself):
- Clinton saying he didn’t need to apologize to Monica Lewinsky personally because he apologized publicly
- Clinton trying to cover his indiscretions by saying he had women serving in his positions in his administration in the 80’s
- Patterson trying to get Clinton out of an uncomfortable conversation by suggesting he didn’t do anything worse than some prior Presidents (JFK or LBJ)
I don’t know why we falsely believe be can right our own wrongs by either comparing ourselves to others or dragging others down with us. That’s all I can say about that.
Then we went to Waitress the Musical for the first time, knowing relatively little about it, other than the fact it was created by this powerhouse female team. I cannot say I would go see it again or that I would recommend the show. Here are some takeaways:
- It is not family friendly. There is a good deal of cursing and a plethora of sexual language and physical contact alluding to sex being about to happen (when the lights went out).
- The soundtrack is not one I would listen to again.
- The lead actress’ accent seemed forced and inconsistent.
- The ensemble/swing was distracting and honestly, took away from what was happening on stage (almost like an SNL parody of a school play).
- The supporting cast was EXCELLENT and stole the show.
Without giving too much away, I didn’t feel empowered as a female; instead I feel like this all-female team who created the musical resorted to the lowest common denominator of female power (or an attempt to make a statement in favor of feminism). There were multiple affairs going on in the name of the “pursuit of happiness”, a picture I’m glad I did not bring my teenage daughter to witness.
In this era of the #MeToo movement and as a sexual assault survivor myself, it is important that we educate and empower individuals so that they don’t find themselves in situations where they are being attacked or taken advantage of; it is equally important that we also teach people (young women and men especially) that the cure when you’re hurting is to hurt others in return, either emotionally, physically or sexually.
Don’t get me wrong, there were a lot of moments where I was clapping along and I can’t remember a time where I’ve heard an audience with that many outbursts of laughter, so my opinion might be quite different from others. But I wouldn’t be true to myself if I didn’t say I walked away from Waitress the Musical a little perplexed and slightly at a loss for words. As with any art form, to each their own…this one just wasn’t for me.
PRAYER FOCUS: Attentive
Today I pray you are especially attentive to the needs and feelings of others around you, particularly within the walls of your home.
Stay in the know on the go:
Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/1g5VA3T
Join in the conversation on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SamiCone
Tweet with me: http://www.twitter.com/TheSamiCone
Watch my story unfold on Instagram: http://instagram.com/TheSamiCone
Follow me on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/SamiCone
Read my book, Raising Uncommon Kids: http://RaisingUncommonKids.com
Share the book on social media: http://bit.ly/RUKShare
Focus on the Family interview: http://bit.ly/RUKfocus
Don’t want to miss even one day of the Daily Dash? Catch up on all of my Daily Dash videos and subscribe to my YouTube channel
Hope you make it a great day!
Disclosure: I was offered two media tickets to preview the show. I LOVE going to TPAC and sharing my experiences with you. All opinions are 100% my own.