This delicious roast chicken and brown rice bowl recipe from Kelsey Barnard Clark, Top Chef Season 16 Winner is easily adaptable for every member of your family.
If anyone can help us multi-task while simplifying meal prep, it’s the woman who won Top Chef less than a year after having her first child, Kelsey Barnard Clark. Kelsey won season 16 of Top Chef and hails from Kentucky, is the mother of two small children, and owns the wildly popular KBC restaurant.
Kelsey’s first cookbook, Southern Grit, came out on August 10 and is available wherever books are sold. From Buttermilk Biscuits to Baby Back Ribs, Southern Grit: 100+ Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Cook gives a modern take on all your favorite Southern meals.
Written in Kelsey’s straight-talkin’ style, there are more than 100 modern Southern recipes. Woven throughout are tips on entertaining and keeping house, as well as personal accounts of winning season 16 of Top Chef.
I enjoyed reading this book as much as I loved cooking from it. I especially loved the “5 ways to green yourself”.
Roast Chicken & Brown Rice Bowl Recipe
- 1 recipe whole roasted chicken from the Kelsey’s book
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- 6 cups packed spinach
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Once chicken is cooked and cool, pull into bite sized pieces and set aside
- In a large sauté pan over low heat, add olive oil then onion, garlic and Brussels and sauté until golden & tender, 8-10 minutes. Turn heat to medium then add cherry tomatoes. Let cook 3 minutes or until tomatoes slightly burst. Add spinach and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted. Add soy sauce & sesame oil then set aside.
- In a bowl layer quinoa, chicken, then veggies and top with green onion and parsley. Enjoy immediately
This segment originally appeared on the August 2021 episode of The Sami Cone Show.
Catch up on past episodes of The Sami Cone Show.