I always love it when Chef Laura Lea stops by the set. I’m not lying when I tell you every recipe I’ve tried in her cookbooks are packed with flavor and total crowd-pleasers!
Laura Lea stopped by to share a popular recipe from her latest cookbook, “Recipes for an Aching Heart“. All of us have experienced heartache at one point or another in our lives. This unique book features dozens of single-serving recipes so we don’t have to sacrifice even when cooking for one.
But these delicious dishes can be enjoyed for those full of joy in healthy relationships too! Don’t wait for a broken heart to try this one…
(Recipe below courtesy of Laura Lea Bryant. Find more recipes on her website)
Cinnamon rolls are one of my all-time favorite treats, especially when the outside is just a bit crispy but not dry, and the inside is ooey-gooey heaven.
This single-serving Cinnamon Roll is the second of three times that you’ll see my 2-Ingredient dough in this book. It allows me (and you!) To create multiple comfort foods without the work of traditional recipes.
Need a gluten-free cinnamon roll? See below for how to create your own GF 2-Ingredient dough!
Single Cinnamon Roll INGREDIENTS
- ¼ cup self-rising flour, plus more for as needed and for sprinkling*
- 3 tablespoons plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Tiny pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature (sub refined coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated monkfruit sweetener or white sugar (increase by 1 teaspoon if not using any frosting)
- Optional: frosting of choice (I use Simple Mills Vanilla)
- Optional: oil or dairy milk for brushing
Gluten-Free Self-Rising Flour Recipe
Want an easy gluten-free cinnamon roll? No problem!
Make gluten-free self-rising flour by combining 1 cup GF all-purpose flour (we like Bob’s Red Mill best for this), 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Sub 1:1 for self-rising flour. Even without the substitution, this is still a single-serve cinnamon roll recipe without yeast.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a small baking dish or baking sheet with nonstick parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ¼ cup flour, yogurt, extract and salt. Use clean hands to mix into a sticky dough ball.
- Sprinkle countertop with a thin layer of flour and add dough. Add a sprinkle of flour on top, then roll dough or press dough into an approximate 10”x2” rectangle.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, cinnamon and sugar and stir to form a paste. Spread over dough. Roll up dough (roll from the short end), then add to baking sheet and gently press down to approximately 2” in height. If using, brush with oil or milk.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes (16 for extra gooey inside, 18 for some golden-brown edges), then top with frosting, if using, and enjoy immediately (watch the hot insides!).
You could also make this cinnamon roll dairy free if you used a non-dairy yogurt instead of the Greek yogurt. You’ll notice it’s also free of refined sugar.
This segment originally appeared on the August 2023 episode of The Sami Cone Show.
Check out Laura Lea’s other appearances and recipes as well:
Get Laura Lea’s newest cookbook now on Amazon.