This sweet cranberry salad recipe is a Thanksgiving side dish favorite.
Don’t let the word “salad” throw you – it’s really more of a dessert. If there’s one thing I’ve learned after living in the south is that when I see the word “salad” at the end of a dish, it typically just means that there’s a lot of mayonnaise added to whatever is in the bowl.
Rest assured there is no mayonnaise in this sweet treat, just homemade whipped cream. This dish is to die for and you have to try it before you make any judgments for yourself. Enjoy!
Sweet Cranberry Salad Recipe
- 1 bag fresh cranberries (12 oz)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 15 oz (2 good handfuls) of seedless red grapes, halved
- 5 oz (half a bag) of regular marshmallows, pulled into quarters
- 3 oz of pecan halves, broken up into small pieces
- Wash the cranberries and spread them out to dry on a dishtowel (preferably overnight, but not necessary).
- Put the cranberries into a food processor and pulse until fully chopped, but not pureed.
- Transfer them to a medium size mixing bowl and add the sugar.
- Incorporate fully and set in the fridge overnight (again, not necessary, but optimal).
- Beat the heavy cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until it forms stiff peaks (stands on its own and becomes the consistency of whip cream); this should take about seven minutes.
- Gently fold the cream into the cranberry/sugar mixture.
- Incorporate the grape halves, nut pieces and marshmallow pieces into the cream/cranberry mixture.
- Chill to allow to set up and enjoy!
This is a delicious and fresh “salad” that can be served alongside the holiday dinner or as a dessert.