I’ve learned some easy car cleaning hacks after driving our family minivan for over a decade. Not only does it make for a cleaner interior, but it keeps our car organized too!
Car Cleaning Hacks
As a mom who spends a lot of time in the car, both for daily activities and road trips, I’ve learned a few tricks to being prepared on the road (and these came in especially handy as I just broke down in the middle of rush hour this week!).
Follow these simple car hacks for your family to stay on top of keeping your car clean, organized and safe!
Car Organization Hacks
Each of these car organization hacks will make you say, “Why didn’t I think of that?”. I guarantee if you’re not already using them, you’ll want to start today!
- Keep all insurance cards and car care receipts in an accordion folder.
- Make copies of all insurance cards, roadside assistance, emergency contacts (in case phone dies)
- Use cookie trays from the dollar store for kids to play and eat on in the backseat (the rims keep crayons from rolling off and serves as a magnetic base for games too).
- Pouch for gift cards/receipts/coupons
- Storage bin under your console to keep miscellaneous items like pens, tissue, gum, coupons, etc.)
- Charging cords
- Beauty bag with necessities like a brush, face powder, and hairspray you can use to freshen up at a moment’s notice
- Suction mount with magnetic phone case (This is the magnetic phone mount I use for my Daily Dash). It’s especially great if you use your phone for directions a lot.
Car Cleaning Tips
We’ve all been there: you wait too long to clean your car interior and find scary things in the crevices of your car. Whether it’s crumbs in your cup holders or sticky stuff on your steering wheel, these car cleaning tips make clean up a breeze.
- Keep a microfiber cloth and homemade cleaning spray in your organization bin so you can wipe down your dash, steering wheel and console on a regular basis (like while waiting in car line).
- Put silicone muffin tins in cup holders to catch condensation and keep them clean
- Keep a small trash can from the dollar store in the back seat and empty it every time you pump gas
- Invest in WeatherTech floor liners. I bought these for my husband for Christmas one year and I can’t tell you how many times they’ve saves us from spills, mud and more.
- Use a mini car diffuser or wooden clothespin with essential oils to keep your car smelling fresh without fake scents.
Car Trunk Organization
You can hack your trunk space to make your road trips and everyday errands easier. You don’t want to weigh down your trunk, but there are some essentials you should always have on hand:
- Car care/emergency kit (just make sure it has jumper cables in it)
- Bottled water
- Change of clothes/shoes (and even some socks or an extra jacket are helpful)
- Phone phone charger
- Crate to gather things (like reusable shopping bags) and keep small things (like returns) from getting lost/rolling around
I know I didn’t cover cleaning the outside of your car. But I do have some green outdoor cleaning tips that include an easier way to wash your car.
These car hacks for your family couldn’t be easier to implement. Even using just a few of these easy hacks will keep your car clean and organized.
But more importantly, you’ll be prepared for anything life (or your family!) might throw your way.
Miss my Talk of the Town TV segment? No problem, you can watch it below!
And special thanks to Kendra Scott Nashville for outfitting me with some pieces from their new Spring collection, including the Brooklyn Gold Statement Earrings in Peach Pearl and the Design Your Own Theodore Ring in White Pearl.