Have you ever wondered how to find lost money? Have you thought about unclaimed property the government may be holding in your name?
There are literally billions of dollars of unclaimed funds in the United States alone, so why not claim your share. Here is where you need to start:
- Check the division of unclaimed property for any state you’ve lived in (https://www.claimittn.gov/)
- Perform a free search on the national site – unclaimed.org – which is endorsed by the National Association of Unclaimed Property.
- Make sure you also search by last name only, with just your first initial, as well as with your maiden name if you’re married.
- You’ll also want to search on behalf of deceased relatives
- Don’t forget to search IRS.gov for past tax refunds you may be owed as well as Treasuryhunt.gov for unclaimed savings bonds.
- If you have a child in college or getting ready to go, you can also search for College Scholarships (most people aren’t aware that millions of dollars a year in potential scholarships go unclaimed). But, they’re not just going to jump out at you; you have to find them.
Watch my segment from Talk of the Town on this same topic:
or visit NewsChannel5.com to watch it there.