Day 3 of my Daniel Fast experience exposed me to my first temptation, but I’m delighted to say I overcame…
Yesterday was another winner for me. Even though we switched our breakfast and first snack meals, it all worked out in the end.
Then I made Dr. Hyman’s Black Bean Soup word for word from the book. It was easy and superb. My daughter not only loved it, she said it was the best soup she ever had (though she mentioned she’s still a fan of broccoli and cheese).
Speaking of cheese, I’d say that’s the one thing we’re both missing most and that because superbly evident at dinner last night.
Daniel Plan Experience: Day 3
Breakfast: Berry Protein Smoothie
*Adapted from the Book*
– Technically, we were supposed to have the quinoa below for breakfast and the smoothie for a snack, but our schedule necessitated the opposite. Since my kids weren’t fans of the Blueberry Spinach Flax Smoothie recipe from the book, I used mixed berries instead and added less protein powder to theirs.
Snack: Quinoa with Almond Milk and Cinnamon Almonds
*From the Book*
– While there was no specific recipe, the book said to eat 1 cup cooked quinoa with 1/2 cup almond milk in cinnamon. I probably ate about a 1/2 cup instead, with a splash of almond milk and some of the slivered cinnamon almonds I made the first day.
Lunch: Dr. Hyman’s Black Bean Soup
*Recipe from the book*
– I snapped a picture of this but couldn’t post it because there was no angle from which it looked pretty. However, it was DELICIOUS! Not only did I think so, but my daughter claimed it was the best soup she ever tasted – which was high praise, especially since it didn’t look especially pretty.
Snack: Hard Boiled Egg
– Not the snack on the plan for this afternoon, but this was a case of grab and go before church.
Dinner: Grilled Fajita Salad
– This was NOT on the plan and my first true test while on the Daniel Plan. We typically go out to dinner with friends after church and the group choice was Mexican. I had a mix of grilled chicken and steak over a bed of fresh lettuce, onions and tomatoes with a side of guacamole (no dressing). Honestly, I wasn’t as tempted by the chips and salsa as I thought I would be, but once my niece’s nachos with cheese got put down next to me, I too almost melted! Then the kids indulged in sopapillas and fried ice cream and I literally had to turn my back to that end of the table…but I resisted!
Weight & Measurements
As much as I want to be transparent with you, I felt convicted sitting in church yesterday because I’m not doing this #21DayFast to lose weight (although that’s a nice byproduct); instead I’m doing it for prayer and clarity. That being said, I’ll continue to update my overall progress, and of course I’ll share my final results, but I just want to make sure I’m keeping first thing’s first.
(and no, I didn’t make this decision because I didn’t lose any weight yesterday; to the contrary, I did better than the day before!)
Overall: 8 pounds lost & 2.5 inches down
There are several Daniel Plan resources available (though I only have the book, so I can’t vouch for the others.) Keep in mind, if you purchase anything through the Amazon affiliate links below, I will make a small percentage of the sale at NO extra cost to you.
If you’d like to join me in this Daniel Plan experience (or just have an encouraging word!), will you please let me know in the comments below? Here’s to good health!